The Sailfish OS summer update Björnträsket is now available for all Jolla and Sailfish OS users! A few weeks ago this update was made available as an early access release for more advanced users. If you’re interested in joining this group, read more here.
Note: Before the update, please make sure your Jolla account registration is active from Settings -> Accounts. If it shows that you are not signed in, kindly re-login.
With this update, we introduce settings for every Android app installed on your device, accessible via Settings > Apps. You should also see improvements with the WLAN disconnection issues in Android apps. In addition to the enhancements in Android support, we have more new and improved features in Sailfish OS as follows.
What’s new in Björnträsket:
- Accounts: UI option added in CardDAV account setup to allow setting the addressbook path directly during account creation
- Android Support:
– Application specific settings for all installed Android apps in Settings > Apps, which allow force stopping of an app, clearing the cache (temporary data) and clearing all app data. There’s also an option for letting the background services of an Android app start when turning the phone on
– Having the option to run Android applications on background enables receiving notifications for Android messaging apps even when the app is closed. Our article about setting up WhatsApp demonstrates the usage of this feature
– Option to start and stop all Android apps easily and to allow Android apps to access your contacts on the phone – see Settings > System > Android support
- Email: Emails with calendar invitations are displayed with a calendar icon, and upon opening them, the calendar app will offer to import the events to user’s calendar
- Keyboard: Possibility to choose different keyboard layouts for Bluetooth keyboards if paired with one for different languages via Settings > System > Text input > Active layout
- OS Updates: Before downloading this update, your device will first check the filesystem for problems and fix them if necessary. For this to succeed there has to be a fair amount of empty memory space
- Development: New gcc 4.8 based tool chain is used on SailfishOS platform from this release onwards, bringing C++11, among other things
Highlights of improvements:
- Android: Better WLAN connection handling for Android apps
- Bluetooth audio: Hands-Free Profile (HFP) implementation is more robust now, and update to PulseAudio 6.0 also improved HFP and HSP profiles
- OS updates:
– Minimum of 50% charge level in the battery required or else the OS install will not start – and we recommend always connecting the charger before doing an OS update!
– Downloading an OS update in the background is possible now – you may continue to install or uninstall apps while the download is ongoing
For release notes and more detailed changelog, please see this TJC post.
Our next software update will include the highly awaited Sailfish OS 2.0 user interface. Stay tuned to hear more about it.
We hope you enjoy the Björnträsket update!
PS: If you haven’t noticed it already, the Jolla Tablet is now available for pre-order in our online shop.